Terminology and Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikadou

Developer
Developer
Hi all,

I created this thread in order not to further disturb this great sticky thread: https://forum.rigsofrods.org/development-discussion/159-enter-codebase.html#post1283

@only_a_ptr I drew this from what I understand how you envision the future design direction to look like. Please correct me, if I'm totally wrong :eek:
BTW I haven't looked too much at the code on your branch yet. When do you plan on merging it with master?

ror-terminology.png

I created this thread in order not to further disturb ....thread 159-enter-codebase
I appreciate the care, but please do disturb it further. That "great thread" is basically just a bunch of my rants, feedback is needed - this is a forum, not wiki, and the worst thing that can happen is that we pile up misc info in one place. In contrast, separating things early creates the risk of fragmenting related data, and that's a lot worse IMO because I see it happening a lot.

@only_a_ptr I drew this from what I understand how you envision the future design direction to look like. Please correct me, if I'm totally wrong :eek:
Good idea, but I don't like it. It has too many items and goes into too much detail. I wrote my own description a while ago into the source (link), here's a copy:
Code:
/// RoR's gameplay is quite simple in structure, it consists of:
///  - static terrain:  static elevation map, managed by `TerrainManager` singleton.
///                     this includes static collision objects (or intrusion detection objects), managed by `TerrainObjectManager`.
///  - softbody actors: a.k.a "trucks" or "vehicles", managed by `BeamFactory`. They collide with static terrain and each other.
///                     this includes 'fixes' - actors with partially fixed position.
///  - characters:      player-controlled human figures with their own primitive physics, managed by `CharacterFactory`
///                     these only collide with static terrain, not actors.
I'll add a more detailed "current state" and "envisioned state" schemes to the "enter the codebase" thread - after lunch.

BTW I haven't looked too much at the code on your branch yet. When do you plan on merging it with master?
I don't have a plan right now, I'm just kicking the code into shape as I see fit, and ocassionally branch off to do some experimenting. I suppose I'll merge it piece-by-piece when some of the branches actually makes some meaningful gameplay change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back