Thread: What's The Deal With Rig-Editor?

United States

Question What's The Deal With Rig-Editor?

I haven't been around long enough to know what rig editor is but is it similar to the parts selector in BeamNG? Why doesn't it launch in 4.7? I wish there was an option to change certain parts of a vehicle :/ Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. i'm just curious

Re: What's The Deal With Rig-Editor?

I believe it is an attempt to resurrect something that has been missing for quite a while. There used to be a Truck editor in the game that allowed you to move the positions of nodes around. As time went on, it was added in that you could add nodes and beams as well. Then, for one reason or another, it was pulled out of the game code all together, or at least deactivated.

It wouldn't be anything like Beam... this would be more of a content creation tool rather than something that would be an integral part of the game.

The resone it doesn't start (correct me if I am wrong) is that it is temporarily deactivated until it is finished... which makes sense really.

United States

Now i get it, it was basically just a Beam editor tool?

Precisely...

UK

It was killed around 0.2x to 0.33 iirc from trying legacy builds on a bottom end, far-too-old desktop in 2012. Never used it but i did see talks of it being reintroduced.

Surely bringing an older version from .2x, gradually porting it through ror versions if time allows could end up with something being done.

Blog Entries
    United States

The Rig Editor was a project created by only_a_ptr ~4 years ago, he never finished it and removed the code from RoR's source to avoid confusion. The buttons still remained and weren't removed until after 0.4.7.0.
    It will eventually return: [WIP] Rig Editor 2017 by only-a-ptr . Pull Request #1357 . RigsOfRods/rigs-of-rods . GitHub

Quote Originally Posted by akaikitty View Post
    It was killed around 0.2x to 0.33 iirc from trying legacy builds on a bottom end, far-too-old desktop in 2012. Never used it but i did see talks of it being reintroduced.

Surely bringing an older version from .2x, gradually porting it through ror versions if time allows could end up with something being done.
    The earliest sources we have is version 0.36.0, so there's no chance of even thinking about porting the code.
    GitHub | Mods
    I will not reply to PM's asking for support! Please use the correct support forum instead.
    If you see my username on MP and it doesn't have a red flag next to it - that's probably not me.

7. The Following User Likes This Post:

UK

>36.0

ouch. Nice too see that it's wip despite that.

It'd be quite nice too see it back.
    I've returned. *whatup 2011 crew*

Thinpad T410, i5 560m, 8gb ram. Blazing speed.

They/She.

Submesh agora skins don't show off the game, neither do the countless schoolbus roleplays.

We need more spider-robot things. That was a thing in like 0.2x. Come on /s

It would... if I am building something complicated that requires lots of nodes to be nudged for me to find the perfect arrangement over many iterations, I still have a version of 0.29 floating around that I use for just such a thing.

Just wondering if there has been any progress with getting the rig editor back and working again?

GitHub - RORMasa/NodeBeamEditor

I personally prefer this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's The Deal With Rig-Editor?-111-png  
    Last edited by klink; 1 Week Ago at 07:40 PM.

12. The Following User Likes This Post:

Thread Information