Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods - $25 Prize!

Re: Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods - $25 Prize!

Alright, so I heard about the competition and figured I'd submit an application. It isn't much, but it's okay in my opinion.

Attachment 3550
    Last edited by Austin; 08-26-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods -  Prize!-ror-logo-eps-png
    Made a quick meta of a logo. Maybe someone likes this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by adriansnetlis; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:22 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Here this might serve as inspiration for other participants. This is not a serious entry. Especially I do not own the copyright for the technical drawings used in the attached mockups. Maybe someone in the community feels like picking up these ideas and refining them?
    Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods -  Prize!-ror-logo-png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods -  Prize!-ror-logo-png  

5. The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

Today I had this idea for a logo. I thought it would be cool to have a suspension which casts a shadow. As a hidden (or not so hidden) reference to the internal implementation of RoR as a spring damper mass system, the shadow would actually be the schematic drawing of a simple spring damper mass system. Here is what I was able to produce. I still like the idea, but my attempt looks to cartoonish for my taste. I believe I prefer a bit more professional looking logos. What do you guys think?

edit: Feel free to "steal" this idea if you think you can execute it better

Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods -  Prize!-ror-logo-2-png
    (Btw this is an exported PNG from SVG file)

7. The Following 6 Users Like This Post:

The announced deadline of the competition has passed. When will the announcement about voting and results be made?

In the meantime I sat down again and further refined my logo ideas. I dropped the idea of including the spring-damper-mass system schematic drawing as a projected shadow. I think it makes the logo to complex. There is just too much going on. The best logos are simple logos.

Also good logos do not necessarily show anything related to the actual product. For exampe there is no car in the Mercedes Benz star logo. For Rigs of Rods that means it does not necessarily need to be a logo showing a truck. In fact, in order to be fair and show the capabilities of our sim, the logo probably should depict trucks, airplanes, trains and boats. This is really hard to get right in a single logo (I tried and failed).
    Therefore I believe a depicted suspension is a good abstract motif for a Rigs of Rods logo. It is also very suitable because it fits the softbody simulation theme where basically every beam-connection is modeled as a suspension element.

I put a lot of effort in simplifying my previous suspension logo. In addition I cleaned up the font of the title. It doesn't look cartoonish anymore. However in order to prevent the visuals from becoming too sterile, I decided to add some oil spill and tire marks. This gives the logo a more down-to-earth look-and-feel. I kept the tachometer placed in the "O" of "RODS". I think it looks really cool.
    At this point I was already very satisfied with the result. One minor thing that still caught my attention was that this could actually be a logo for an arbitrary racing game. SInce RoR is much more than that, I added a small hook on the right side. Now to me it really feels like an appropriate logo for this great sandbox game.

Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods -  Prize!-g1905-png

In addition I made sure the logo looks great on various backgrounds and can also be used as a desktop icon.

Competition: Design a Logo for Rigs of Rods -  Prize!-ror-logo-2018-png

I know this is far overdue for the contest. I hope you still like it and would like to hear what you think about it.

~mikadou

9. The Following 8 Users Like This Post:

Thread Information