Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roadmap
Hello everybody.

I often change plans of RoR development. Work happens, life happens, **** happ... you know. As of now, I'm going to keep this thread updated with my current state of mind to avoid (minimize) confusion.

Note on version numbering: in my understanding, version "1.0" means "complete" and anything below it means "progress towards completeness". And I hate when projects get "stuck" (actually completed) on version 0.x - for this reason, the numbering below may be a little jumpy.

Stable development line
Development based on current upstream codebase, using OGRE engine 1.9 + our classic physics engine + classic RoRnet2 multiplayer

Version 0.4.7 - To be released in about a week.
- See this: https://github.com/RigsOfRods/rigs-of-rods/pull/1113
- Misc performance+usability improvements since 0.4.5 (and unreleased 0.4.6)
- Resolves remaining issues with truckfile parser (compatibility, crashes)

(Version 0.4.x) - Around christmas 2016
- Integrates with new multiplayer portal (in progress)
- Integrates with new repository (in progress)
- Restores input mappings in RoRconfig
- Implements input mapping in RoR main menu/settings (currently a stub)
- All remaining bugfixes which didn't make it to 0.4.7: https://github.com/RigsOfRods/rigs-of-rods/milestone/9
- Powerful ingame console with GVar editing (tweak any setting in runtime, i.e. graphics details)

Version 0.5 - Q1 2017
- Resolves issues with skinzips/flares/materialflares/mirrors/envmap... you know what I mean. Proper material management which loads/unloads resources per vehicle.
- Brings back ingame RigEditor with limited feature set (but without broken/hazardous feats).
- Fast cache regen (on background!)
- 90% known bugs fixed
- Fully functional RoRnet2 multiplayer.

(Version 0.5.x+)
- More bugfixes
- RigEditor progress
- Terrain editor

Version 0.6
- OGRE 2.1 port

Experimental development line (a.k.a project NextSim)
Development based on version 0.5 (may start earlier though). Work done in parallel with stable dev line.

Mk1 - Q1 2017
- All features of 0.5 remain in.
- New singleplayer sandbox physics mode. Simple visualization only
- New scripting based on http://www.squirrel-lang.org/, please read https://computerscomputing.wordpress.com...-squirrel/ - because AngelScript is a PITA to maintain and code for.

Mk2 - Q2 /Q3 2017
- New flexbodies (GPU)
- Scriptable physics interactions (powertrain simulation, complex hydraulics)
- Scriptable sounds
- Initial RoRnet3 multiplayer (UDP-based, fast, hybrid P2P/relay mode, switchable collision/no-collision mode).

Mk3+ ... future

Why it changed again?!?!

Not long ago I claimed that 0.4.7 will be the last stable release, then I'll do OGRE 2.1 port and start NextSim atop of it. To make it work, I'd have to avoid any invasive cleanups until 0.4.7. But then I got stuck in a fix it/break it loop and realized I need to do invasive cleanups now. So I did. As a result, the 0.4.7 will have a very stable main menu + direct-IP multiplayer without unnecessary shutdowns. But it heavily diverged the upstream from the existing OGRE 20./2.1 branch. Conclusion: let's delay the nice-to-have OGRE 2.1, fix 0.4 properly first, and then do experiments.

TL; DR

I'll keep bugfixing until version 0.5 sometime in spring 2017. Then I'll work on tools, and in parallel, on NextSim.

Cheers.
Big Grin 
Can't wait to see what the future holds!  Smile Big Grin
I looking forward for 1.0 version of Rigs of Rods Smile
Rigs of Rods is best game in my life Smile I will start play it since 2007.
Quote:Version 0.6
- OGRE 2.1 port

Since we lack of manpower and time, how about we make first an evolution (OGRE 1.10) instead of revolution (OGRE 2.1)?
OGRE 2.1 port need a lot of rework in RoR, Caelum, PagedGeometry, Hydrax and SkyX. Personally, i don't even expect OGRE 2.1 port would happen this year.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to klink for this post:
  • 4x4convoy, Michael10055
(02-26-2017, 07:35 PM)klink Wrote:
Quote:Version 0.6
- OGRE 2.1 port

Since we lack of manpower and time, how about we make first an evolution (OGRE 1.10) instead of revolution (OGRE 2.1)?
OGRE 2.1 port need a lot of rework in RoR, Caelum, PagedGeometry, Hydrax and SkyX. Personally, i don't even expect OGRE 2.1 port would happen this year.

On their website they suggest doing a 1.x to 2.0 conversion first as it is supposedly much easier than a full jump to 2.1. Would that be any more feasible?

(Coming from someone if only minor coding skills so I don't have a full grasp on this and what it all entails)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to atv_123 for this post:
  • dredan09