Favorite Web Browser(s)

Xploder98

Well-Wisher
Retired Staff
Hi all,

Just trying to think of some discussion topics that might produce interesting conversation. I'd like to get a feel for what web browsers users here tend to prefer. Maybe we could list the name of the browser, the platform, and why you use it or if there are any particular features that you really like about it. You could even list multiple browsers, for instance if you used different browsers for different activities or for different platforms.

Reactions: KGM
I suppose I could start first. So, I use Mozilla Firefox on mobile (Android), and Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome on Windows 10.

I like Firefox on Android because of how customizable and privacy-oriented it is. Really appreciate extensions for extra functionality on mobile, something Chrome currently lacks. Ad blockers and HTTPS Everywhere are nice to have.

On Windows, I always use Google Chrome for university or other use cases where I need everything to be the most compatible, for instance with various web-based applications I might need to use. I don't really have to worry about browser compatibility issues since Chrome has the lion's share of the browser market and most developers seem to aim for Chrome users when developing websites and applications.

Microsoft Edge gets used for basically everything else though. It took me a bit to readjust once Microsoft switched from Trident to Chromium, but I've really been enjoying it ever since. It doesn't seem to be quite the resource hog Chrome can be at times either, so that's an added bonus 😄.

For me, I've always used Opera. Specifically its GX Version. On Mobile though, I use chrome, Since I don't browse the web often on mobile.
I used to use the Chromium version of Edge, But switched around January 2020. People talk trash about Opera, I don't know why. Its a smooth browser. In fact, When I was using Edge, It didn't block an infected file from downloading. GX Blocked it from being saved to my PC.
On my old Windows XP rig, I use an old version of Firefox. I tried Firefox on my main rig once or twice, But I didn't really like the feel of it.
When at School, The Mac's use an older version of Chrome, That is actually pretty fast, And doesn't slow down the Mac's.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get murdered for using Opera.

Where is the typical moody smart-ass using an old version of Firefox and refusing to upgrade because "the new version sucks"? oh wait that's me :ROFLMAO:

I'm afraid that in the future there will only be Chrome and Chrome-clones. Which isn't bad, I mean, I use Chrome too.

Firefox really seems to be one of the last big competitors to Google's Chromium base. Doesn't help that some websites specifically require Chrome or a Chrome derivative to function properly.

For me, I've always used Opera. Specifically its GX Version. On Mobile though, I use chrome, Since I don't browse the web often on mobile.
I used to use the Chromium version of Edge, But switched around January 2020. People talk trash about Opera, I don't know why. Its a smooth browser. In fact, When I was using Edge, It didn't block an infected file from downloading. GX Blocked it from being saved to my PC.
On my old Windows XP rig, I use an old version of Firefox. I tried Firefox on my main rig once or twice, But I didn't really like the feel of it.
When at School, The Mac's use an older version of Chrome, That is actually pretty fast, And doesn't slow down the Mac's.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get murdered for using Opera.
Not necessarily, just a bit of an odd choice to most people I guess, since it's essentially still a Chrome derivative.

Since you specifically use Opera GX, do you use any of its more gamer-oriented features regularly, or are they more nice-to-haves?

I use a couple, mainly Opera GX, Edge, and Chrome. (my mobile is Safari). If you have any questions I'll answer them!

Not necessarily, just a bit of an odd choice to most people I guess, since it's essentially still a Chrome derivative.

Since you specifically use Opera GX, do you use any of its more gamer-oriented features regularly, or are they more nice-to-haves?
The only "gaming features" I use, is the Picture in Picture, and Browser Colors. Personally, I use the "Ultraviolet" theme. Its not bad tbh
Picture in Picture is extremely useful sometimes too.

surf.png

Well, for regular browsing, I use the "surf" (Suckless Tools) web browser, Shown in the above screenshot. (It doesn't resize properly in bspwm, Though it works well in KDE.)
For anything that requires logging in to e-mail accounts, transactions, or multi-tab browsing, I use (Telemetry-disabled) Firefox.

Last edited:
The only "gaming features" I use, is the Picture in Picture, and Browser Colors. Personally, I use the "Ultraviolet" theme. Its not bad tbh
Picture in Picture is extremely useful sometimes too.
I Got PiP and Colors in Firefox 😀

Definitely Chrome... I've tried Firefox and Opera,but Chrome's the browser for me. Edge is over the edge:p

I have now switched to Chrome, Just to use a few features on a site I use.

I use brave browser on my gamin rig and my tablet, cause its speedy and its got a built in ad blocker that actually works.

i use an old version of firefox on my laptop, cause its plain and simple, just what i need for the ham radio stuff i do with my laptop

Back