NEED INFO. are cat deletes and straight pipes legal in pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I recently got a hooptie 87 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with the 5.0-liter engine (the same engine in fox body mustang from that decade) and I wanted to do a cat delete and straight pipe it but I don't know if it's legal.
Can you help me with the "issue"?
thanks

If the county you live in doesn't do emissions inspections, you're fine as long as you keep it below a certain volume. Though an 87' would be exempt from inspections completely with classic plates, so it's up to you.

Yeah, it's kind of a "yes no kinda" answer. I also live in PA, but my county doesn't do emissions at all, so basically as long as you have a muffler in some capacity, your good. If your going for full straight pipe, I would recommend using a straight through flow muffler, just so you get the sound/performance, but also satisfies people who say you need a muffler (even if it's not really doing much of anything)

Heck, I drove my old Impreza around with nothing but open headers for like... 8 months... and no one even bothered to check it because it just wasn't loud enough even with just open headers. Granted, I also live in the middle of nowhere, so make sure to take that into consideration... if I lived in some town, I am sure someone would have called my bluff...

Where I live (ohio) only certain counties have any emissions testing at all. And historic vehicles are exempt. Why do you want to straight pipe it? does it still have the stock single on it? I would just go with a nice dual setup. Also while its still the same 302cid engine like the foxbody it only makes around 150hp vs 225 in the stang. Also have you changed the transmission TV cable bushing yet? You want to check on that. If it goes you will kill the transmission. I know quite a bit about ford Panther body cars. I own a 1985 Town Car myself as well as a 99 Grand Marquis.

Yes, Muffler deletes are allowed in PA, In PA I drive a loud '17 muffler delete ram and no cops have ever pulled me over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back