RoR Development builds for 0.4.8 (For Windows and Linux!)

AnotherFoxGuy

Developer
Developer
If you want to test the latest changes to RoR without having to compile the game yourself, you can download a Development build.

Download with the itch.io desktop app (Recommended)

With the desktop app, the latest build will be automatically downloaded and installed
Also, only the changed files will be downloaded instead of the complete game.

1. Download and install the itch.io desktop app: itch - Download and play indie games - itch.io
  2. Login into the itch.io app.
  3. Copy this link into the URL bar:
    Code:
    https://anotherfoxguy.itch.io/rigs-of-rods
    vivaldi_2018-10-18_18-37-33.png
  4. Now a bar will appear on the bottom of the screen, click the install button to install RoR
    itch_2018-10-18_18-39-28.png
  5. When you launch the game for the first time, it will first install some dependencies

Download without the itch.io desktop app

If you don't want to install the desktop app, you still can download the builds manually

1. Download the latest version here: itch.io
  2. Extract the zip file into a new folder (do not merge with an existing RoR version!)
  3. Run RoRConfig.exe or RunRoRConfig

Let me know if there are any problems with the development builds in this thread.

Last edited:
Several maps such as North St Helens give the error:

"OGRE EXCEPTION(5:ItemIdentityException): Object named 'MainLight' does not exist. in SceneManager::getMovableObject at /home/c
onan/.conan/data/OGRE/1.9.1/anotherfoxguy/stable/build/90ee443cae5dd5c1b4861766ac14dc6fae231a92/OgreMain/src/OgreSceneManager.
cpp (line 6979)"

when I try to load them, and some vehicles and maps cause a segmentation fault as soon as they are selected in the menu. This is on Kubuntu 18.04.

ogre 1.9 crashes a lot with intel vga (i have them too so i use ogre 1.8 which works fine)

wait until ogre 1.11 port is done, it fixes all the intel crashes (tested on both my desktop and laptop using Archlinux)

Last edited:

tritonas00

fix your settings under "Render System" and press save
or delete your old .rigsofrods dir in your home and start fresh

ps how ogre 1.11 got there? is not in master yet...

Last edited:

Vido

fix your settings under "Render System" and press save
or delete your old .rigsofrods dir in your home and start fresh

ps how ogre 1.11 got there? is not in master yet...
Aha ok, dont know how ogre 1.11 got there maybe AnotherFoxGuy knows,

ps: could you tritonas00 make tutorial how to manually compile Ror and its depedencies since script does not work anymore ?

gmemes

first time it downloaded but i could not open it second time i tried to download it it said failed- forbidden. :mad:

25or624

average car guy
I will not lie, I am less than blown away. Or rather, blown away in the wrong direction. I get this is a dev build, but there’s some things that are just “really?”

Starting off with the quite frankly, crap texture quality. None of the vehicles have any shine to them without HQ reflections turned on, which I usually don’t for performance reasons.

Speaking of performance, this is the part that really was disappointing. I heard, and expected that 0.4.8 was going to have improved performance by quite a bit. I got the exact opposite, getting about half or a third of the framerate I did in 0.4.7. On Bajarama, with the 2WD Gavril Zeta, I got about 23 frames per second. (I get that my computer is less than suited for Rigs of Rods, but still). In this version, I get about 12, and it looks substantially worse due to the “matte finish” on everything.

The icing on the cake is that this version broke 0.4.7.

Is it possible I did something wrong? Of course. It is possible that I goofed up something, and that broke the textures, so maybe this criticism is invalid, which I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I did due to 4.7 not working, but as it stands now, this was a letdown.