rorEditor: the new truck file editor

Max98

Old-timer
Hello everyone!
Approximately two months of total lock down and a lot of web development learning, experience and rigs of rods nostalgia, I decided to make a new project, both for learning purposes for me and for RoR.
I present you: rorEditor. (codename: project_nodesnap)

1590279495601.png

(that is a Gavril MV4 loaded into the editor)

1590295644211.png

1590295691236.png

(Lotus Esprit S1 edited and loaded fine into gamewith all set_beams in place)

A few people including me don't like blender at all, and rorEditozer is unusable after a lot of updates to the game.
Plus, blender is not easy to learn so that may scare a lot of new comers to make content for the game.
This project is based on rorEditozer.

Features:

• Nodes and beams loader with set_beam and set_nodes (80% done)
  • N/B saver without any edits (just nodes and beams for now) (probably 80%) (basically it converts the truck file to JSON and then does the inverse)
  • Snap to grid nodes on CTRL + node drag with CTRL + ALT divides the grid /2 (70% done)
  • Render nodes id/names (100% done
Todo features:
  • Basic file sections editing like title/authors/globals (before alpha, half done)
  • Import mesh wire frame as reference for working on N/B
  • Mesh placement
  • Improve grid snapping (before first alpha)
  • Save blueprint position (before first alpha)
  • Basic sections like camera/cinecam/all engine types (before first alpha)
  • Normal wheels section + preview (before first alpha)
  • Meshwheels sections + mesh preview, not wire frame
  • View resizing
  • Delete nodes/beams and edit their options (before alpha)
  • Submesh maker
  • Obviously a lot of bug fixing
  • aync truck loading and all taskes that freezes the UI for a few miliseconds (like updating node positions etc etc), I did not chose JavaScript for nothing ;p

My goal with this is to make truck files easier to work on, plus integrate a mesh placer, submesh maker.
In short note, you won't need to open your truck file with notepad again, but that's going to take a lot of time.

Controls:
Camera:

Right click + mouse move => move camera around
Left click + mouse move (Only on perspective view aka 3D view) => rotate on axis
Mouse wheel => Zoom

Editor:
*Mouse double left click => new node
*Mouse double left click + CTRL => new node snapped on grid
Mouse click on a node + drag => Move node around
Mouse click on a node + drag + CTRL => Move node around with grid snapping to the preset value
Mouse click on a node + drag + CTRL + ALT => Move node around with grid snapping 2 times smaller to the preset value
CTRL + SHIFT + click node1 + click node2 => Creates a beam + shows a temporary blue line before you click on the second node
CTRL + B + mouse drag on blueprint => reposition blueprints

This is made using Electron, VueJS, Bootstrap-vue , three.js and typescript (obviously Node.js).
This project is opensource and published on github.
Please use github for feature requests, etc..
Github:

Last edited:

dr03m

Tinkering with mods
Idea: Color code hitches, hydros, submesh, flares etc

Also add the ability to easily place and set hitches, hydros, submesh, flares etc

OP
OP
M

Max98

Old-timer
A little milestone done here
1590370992689.png

First file created on the editor and export to RoR successfully.

I should fix a few bugs, add some basic stuff like engine/wheels/camera and release a first alpha + make it opensource.

OP
OP
M

Max98

Old-timer
Wow, amazing! 😮 Welcome back. ;)
Thank you!

I just published the source code on github. Bear in mind, I just did so because i'm about to start refactoring and restructuring especially this file, and use the repo as a backup.

Controls:
Camera:

Right click + mouse move => move camera around
Left click + mouse move (Only on perspective view aka 3D view) => rotate on axis
Mouse wheel => Zoom

Editor:
*Mouse double left click => new node
*Mouse double left click + CTRL => new node snapped on grid
Mouse click on a node + drag => Move node around
Mouse click on a node + drag + CTRL => Move node around with grid snapping to the preset value
Mouse click on a node + drag + CTRL + ALT => Move node around with grid snapping 2 times smaller to the preset value
CTRL + SHIFT + click node1 + click node2 => Creates a beam + shows a temporary blue line before you click on the second node
CTRL + B + mouse drag on blueprint => reposition blueprints