skin file replace sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixerdave

In a .skin file,

I can use replaceTexture to replace one png with another.
What do I use to replace one wav file with another?

I can't find any reference to using a skin to replace a sound.

I know I can just replace a wav file with another, but I'm trying to do it right... as a proper skin.

If anyone cares, my kid wants a different siren for the KME Predator. I'd like to build up a bunch of skins that match the various fire departments around us (oddly enough, there are a lot).

Any pointers appreciated,

David...

I don't think a .skin file will work for what you are wanting. But using sections will. Just setup multiple soundscripts for the different sirens, and have each soundsource in a different section.

So... copy the original, generate a new GUID, replace the wav file, and/or optionally modify the truck definition with sections to allow for multiple sirens... am I understanding this right?

David...

Alrighty then... lots of fun. To save the next person some aggravation, here's what I ended up doing:

Take the time to properly understand the answer given... for a start.

Then:

Copy the truck, replace the GIUD with something generated, rename the truck file as well. Modify the .truck file to add a section (in my case there were already 2 so I just used one of them). In that section, point to a new sound entry in the .soundscript file. That new sound entry can point the trigger (horn, in my case) to the new wav file. Oh, add the wav file. Then, re-zip and put in the vehicles folder.

When using, don't use the modified truck AND the original, or you'll only get the first one. A new GIUD will not prevent this. Somehow, it must bring all the vehicle files into a common cache. If the same filenames are in use, then the first one in stays (I'm guessing here). If you want the original and the mod, I expect it will involve renaming every changed file, and everything that points to them.

However, by using sections, you can have two different sounds you can pick from with a single truck. Honestly, I've used RoR on and off for years, setting things up for my kid, and I never noticed that Section choice at the bottom. Learned more than a few things today.

Oh, and I've skinned said to have graphics matching a local fire department. Nine departments to go, in our local (20km radius) area. Learned a few things about the GIMP today too.

Thanks for the pointers.

David...

Attachments

• SaanichE1_KME_Predator_preview.png
    SaanichE1_KME_Predator_preview.png
    103 KB · Views: 353
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back