Solved Creating input map for Fanatec CSL Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPurks64k

Hey All, Im very new to this! Trying to create a input map for my wheel and pedals. It is recognized in the mapping tool. But when I do axis for steer left and steer right they both say axis upper? The pedals I chose the slider option but they dont seem to work correctly either. What am i missing? Seems like im on the right path and my wheel and pedals should work with ROR. Thanks

Kyle

Hi,

Can you please try this and let me know if it works?

In the Input Mapping Tool click the "Add" button, select "TRUCK_STEER_LEFT" from the list and "JoystickAxis" as input type.

Before clicking add, turn your wheel some of the way to the left and hold it there. Then click the second "Add" button. When the "please move an axis" prompt appears, move it more to the left. Press Enter key to confirm, once the axis appears on the screen, without letting go of the wheel.

This ensures that you move the axis the correct way, and it registers "left" as "left". Do the opposite for "TRUCK_STEER_RIGHT"

As for the pedals, try using JoystickAxis instead of sliders

Let me know if that helps

Last edited:
Hi Mark thanks for getting back to me. This did not work for me. Tried various combos...sometimes I would have steering one way but it seemed like I would have to turn the wheel a bunch for it to turn. Or my clutch pedal would make the wheels turn. Any other ideas for me? Is this just not compatable for ROR? Thanks

Attachments

• RoR.log
    181 KB · Views: 306
Thanks for giving it a try, sorry it didn't help any

I had a look at your log and I can see the game does detect your wheel and pedals as the following:
Code:
20:00:25: * Device: JoyStick Vendor: FANATEC CSL Elite Wheel Base
20:00:25: Creating Joystick 1 (FANATEC CSL Elite Wheel Base)
20:00:25: * Axes: 5
20:00:25: * Sliders: 3
20:00:25: * POV/HATs: 1
20:00:25: * Buttons: 63

I can see that your pedals are in fact likely to be sliders and not axes, my mistake.

As for the wheels now only reacting once you turn the wheel far enough - please ignore my previous suggestion about holding the wheel to the left/right when assigning an axis as I'm guessing this is the cause of that.

The only thing I can think of, is to try and manually edit the input map in a text editor (e.g. notepad)
First try and configure everything normally with the Input Map Tool. Then test in game and see what does what, if anything. Then, based on that, swap things around in the input map. As for the wheel always turning left, you had the right idea in your first post - "TRUCK_STEER_LEFT" and "TRUCK_STEER_RIGHT" should not both say "UPPER" - change one of them so it says "LOWER"

After you are done, you can upload your custom input map here (as .txt forum won't accept .map files) and tell me what still isn't working right and we'll see what we can do

Mark finally we have progress. Got steering and accelerate/brake. Did what you said changed everything manually until I found something that worked. It appears that the pedals are on axes too. Now I need to get the steering quicker in game. I went into my Fanatec settings and turned my wheel range down to about 750(just have to remember to change them back for iRacing). Im having a hard time understanding all the settings in game. Throttle response also seems slightly off to me? Also want to get my shifter working properly. I believe they will be recognized as buttons in the mapping tool. I tried turning it onto manual shifting in the settings but when I hit the gas it still goes into Drive. Thanks for all your help so far almost there!

Attachments

• settings.txt
    255 bytes · Views: 291
Hi again, very glad to hear there's progress, good persistence, too!

I would recommend making a back-up of your input map (in a different folder) at this point, before making any further changes.

As for the steering being slow, if it's the wheels react slowly to your input, I think that's normal (there is a setting to change it somewhere, I can't remember where, sorry), however if the steering is just not sensitive, there is a Analog Input Sensitivity setting in Settings > Controls. I'm not sure, but this may impact the pedals, too.

If you are on Windows, open the Run window (hold the Windows keyboard key and press R) and type in joy.cpl and hit enter. You should see your wheel on the list of controllers. Click "Properties", after which you should be presented with all the axes and buttons, try the shifter and see if different buttons light up. You may also be able to see what the sliders are controlled by.

If your shifter works by using buttons, then you can open the Input Mapping Tool and assign "TRUCK_SHIFT_GEAR1" (and 2,3,4,5 to) "TRUCK_SHIFT_GEAR6" and "TRUCK_SHIFT_GEAR_REVERSE" to the corresponding shifter positions. Set up the clutch pedal if you have one (TRUCK_MANUAL_CLUTCH).

As for the shifter/gearbox setting (Settings > General > "Gearbox mode"), you can try "Fully manual: stick shift" or "Manual shift : auto clutch" (if you don't have a clutch pedal). Pressing "Q" while in game, in a vehicle, cycles through the gearbox modes, so you can try them out that way, too. (this will later allow you to switch between paddle shifters and the normal shifter but we'll set those up after this)

If you are using the "Resume Game" option from the main menu, and already have a car spawned, you will need to delete it (CTRL+DEL) and spawn a new one (CTRL+G) for the new gearbox settings to apply.

I'm sorry if we're not able to address things like the throttle response seeming off. I'm not that familiar with RoR and don't even own a wheel, so somebody else who has experience may be able to help with this?

Mark, I seem to have most problems now figured out. I was able to fine tune my settings on my wheel base per fanatic manual lol. My throttle response issue is because my brake pedal is full on in game. But in mapping tool it seems to test ok. Is there another setting I am still missing?

Hi again, glad to hear there's progress

So basically, when in game, your brake pedal is fully pushed in? what happens if you fully physically press the brake pedal? does it release? it could be that the axis is the wrong way around, if so. In that case you can just add " REVERSE" at the end of the line that specifies "TRUCK_BRAKE" or if you have "UPPER" or "LOWER" at the end already, add it before the word like this: "REVERSE+UPPER"

Can you upload your input map so I can take a look at it?

Finally got it! Take a look. Thanks so much for all the help!

Attachments

• RoR Fanatec CSL Elite Settings.txt
    383 bytes · Views: 320
Nice, glad to hear you got the basics working!

Sorry I wasn't able to help all that much, it's a lot of individual work and trial and error

Out of curiosity, did the gearbox not work as buttons?

Also, if you feel that the problem is solved, you can edit your first post to mark the thread as Solved

Yes the gearbox did work as buttons, I use a sequential style shifter so all I need was a up/down function and that gets me through all of the gears. You really did help a lot because I had no idea I could edit the text to make changes. Thanks Mark!

No problem! if you ever feel like taking it further (e.g. configuring paddle shifters, shifter itself) - I'm sure you'll manage just fine, otherwise we'll be here to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back