RoR needs some way to grow it's community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone really needs to do something to make people more aware of RoR, I only found it on alternativeto.net looking for an alternative to Beam NG Drive. But Once I found it, I see it is a much better game, AND it's open source. The only thing it's missing is a large community. I could see it being a game like Minetest, which while not mainstream, has a giant amazing community. Even though MC's community is larger, MT's is 100x better. It seems like that could happen to RoR if more people knew about it. For one thing, if a Debian version was put in the Ubuntu repositories, people would see it there, as I found Minetest, which I told many friends about and grew the community a tiny bit.I feel this could happen to RoR too.

Last edited:
can i just say something when all my friends want to play ror they get puzzled with the controls i dont but you dont need to change them just have a help bar that tells all current controls

Honestly i wish rigs of rods was the only popular game with deformations and stuff. Beam.ng is just a advanced version of rigs of rods but only reserved for the rich kids -_-

RoR currently has WAY less good quality vehicles than Beam NG
We are the only online community that contains almost 100% user-made content.
can i just say something when all my friends want to play ror they get puzzled with the controls i dont but you dont need to change them just have a help bar that tells all current controls
uh, ok.
Beam NG is also closed source and not available for Linux. Although RoR's Linux support is pretty bad, and currently I run the Windows version in Wine, but that can be improved.
Feel free to contribute, the userbase as of right now is mostly windows users, it makes more sense to focus on it.
Honestly i wish rigs of rods was the only popular game with deformations and stuff. Beam.ng is just a advanced version of rigs of rods but only reserved for the rich kids -_-
Anyone can get $25 to buy the game, I wouldn't consider someone rich for that.

The community was big and heavily active until beamng's popularity exploded, a few months after launch.

The influx of stolen models, which plague every PC game, and beamng too, which may look more visually imperessive, are lazily done, and are technicnally illegal. We had this problem but it was easily dealt with, while beam has this shit everywhere.

The problems are stupid questions, or not enough people making content or being too stubborn, or not taking the forum rules and general ettiquete.

This is a game that's almost 14 years old, from a small experiment. This is way larger than pricorde ever intended, and for games even from 4 years ago having way less of an active, dedicated community than this, you should take it for granted.

I've been here for 8 or so years. Others have been here way longer, others have been here for months.

Well, I can see his point. RoR and BeamNG aren’t the same game certainly. BeamNG has features like breakable driveshafts, overheating, and other things, while RoR doesn’t, but again, they aren’t the same game. If I had the capabilities to play BeamNG, I know I would choose it over this, even though I like both games. Rigs of Rods wasn’t really built to be an incredibly extensive vehicle simulator, so it’s kinda like comparing a bike to a BMW. Both, I suppose, will get you there in the end, one just has some nice luxuries.

Yes, but with a bigger, more active community, the game could improve more.

I see where you're going, but a larger, more active community does not always equal a better game if it ever does.

UPD 8/9/2018: I also realized that my above statement possibly means that there's a chance of a small portion of users worsening our reputation of having nearly 100% user-made content. However, the administration of Rigs of Rods is among the most diligent one will ever see, so that's very likely not a possibility with these admins/moderators.

Last edited:
RoR will never really reach the popularity of BeamNG for two reasons:

1. BeamNG gives video creators the ability to make really visually pleasing cinematic crashes, or tense, entertaining challenges that requires strategies to avoid breaking vital components, a prospect that is regularly being improved. RoR does not enable that kind of stimulation; i.e. not many people really enjoy watching someone ship pallets from one end of a map to the other.

2. A quick search on any search engine for Rigs of Rods will show the results of a more popular community: the school bus Role-play community. these have tainted our once glorious community to no end. I personally think that the damage done by this cancerous fan-base has deterred possibly thousands of potential creators from this jewel in the sea.
In addition to this unfortunate truth, a large proportion of the people that still come here are those who came just for the deformation they saw on YouTube. Look on Content-support, here and anywhere on the archives, and you will see two phrases: "I saw this car on YouTube, can you help me find it?" or "can anyone find this bus?" I used to be part of both of those communities, now I am here because of the physics.

Last edited:
A few posts back someone said Beam NG was for "Rich kids" for the most part. And even though Beam NG isn't that expensive, I kinda agree 'cause the majority of people can't afford to spend their money on an stronger PC until they save up a lot of money, and even then there are tons of other things people have to spend money on. Though over time they'll probably be able to afford it, but they have wait quite a while.

As for how to get more popularity? I would suggest to advertise on websites and such. But since the game is free I doubt you guys would want to spend money on advertisements. Not to mention you would probably attract a hordes of kids. (Witch wouldn't be so bad if they didn't post on the forums.)

Let's make a ad for YouTube or let's make some Livestreams to advertise the game .
I mean I could if my computer had internet and a streaming program

There's no need for that, and if i'm not mistaken there was a video advertising the game a few years back. In my opinion, we don't need another one.

But I mean not just a video I mean advertising like farming simulator 19 or red dead redemption 2

Someone really needs to do something to make people more aware of RoR, I only found it on alternativeto.net looking for an alternative to Beam NG Drive. But Once I found it, I see it is a much better game, AND it's open source. The only thing it's missing is a large community. I could see it being a game like Minetest, which while not mainstream, has a giant amazing community. Even though MC's community is larger, MT's is 100x better. It seems like that could happen to RoR if more people knew about it. For one thing, if a Debian version was put in the Ubuntu repositories, people would see it there, as I found Minetest, which I told many friends about and grew the community a tiny bit.I feel this could happen to RoR too.
Really, ror doesn't remotly compare to other driving simulators, however, there are some things that are nice about it. Such as, the ease of modding. It's easy to mod this game. Still, it won't get that popular (I won't think.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back