RoR needs some way to grow it's community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's had spikes and dips over the years. boom in 2007-8, again in 2009-10, and it was steady and pretty big until beamng came along and screwed everything up, russian modders and kids leaking mods came along. since 2013 it's been going downhill but the userbase is still there and loyal.

it's had spikes and dips over the years. boom in 2007-8, again in 2009-10, and it was steady and pretty big until beamng came along and screwed everything up, russian modders and kids leaking mods came along. since 2013 it's been going downhill but the userbase is still there and loyal.
Well, at least I'm living proof that RoR does very slowly gain new users, I joined the community a few months ago. But, unfortunately, yes, it's certainly past its prime.

I was very active around 2011. Since then, from what I can see, there have been two forum switches, including one complete server switch that screwed up the repository (I know this one was accidental and handled very poorly by the server provider).

But if this game is going to regain any kind of player base, the repository needs to be fixed, old mods need to be uploaded again as soon as possible. Most potential new users will be looking in the repository before they're bothered to look in the forums. If there is nothing in the repository, they have no reason to even install&try the game in the first place.

RoR is a good game, that while yes, I think that it needs a bigger playerbase, you should give it time. Once 4.8 comes out, I'm sure we will grow. And yes I agree that the bus community is ruining the game. Not everyone in the bus community, but most.

RoR is a good game, that while yes, I think that it needs a bigger playerbase, you should give it time. Once 4.8 comes out, I'm sure we will grow. And yes I agree that the bus community is ruining the game. Not everyone in the bus community, but most.
Unfortunately, 4.8 isn’t coming out for a while (please correct me if I’m wrong, I’d love to be wrong here), and yeah, i have to agree. I drive busses, but mostly because it’s fun to screw around in a large vehicle, I’m not much for roleplays.

Offtopic:
also, you get points for having a Michael Scott quote in your signature.

There shouldn't be a "bus community" in the first place.

Unfortunately, 4.8 isn’t coming out for a while (please correct me if I’m wrong, I’d love to be wrong here), and yeah, i have to agree. I drive busses, but mostly because it’s fun to screw around in a large vehicle, I’m not much for roleplays.

Offtopic:
also, you get points for having a Michael Scott quote in your signature.
Yes, it is planned to come out soon.

Glad I'm in the truck Community

0.4.8 is full of bug fixes, better performance due to ogre 1.11, great new features/physics and has the best linux support ever (no need to compile just download and play)

i play ror since 0.38.66 and all i can say the upcoming 0.4.8 is the best version so far.

Someone really needs to do something to make people more aware of RoR, I only found it on alternativeto.net looking for an alternative to Beam NG Drive. But Once I found it, I see it is a much better game, AND it's open source. The only thing it's missing is a large community. I could see it being a game like Minetest, which while not mainstream, has a giant amazing community. Even though MC's community is larger, MT's is 100x better. It seems like that could happen to RoR if more people knew about it. For one thing, if a Debian version was put in the Ubuntu repositories, people would see it there, as I found Minetest, which I told many friends about and grew the community a tiny bit.I feel this could happen to RoR too.
That same article is how I discovered RoR in the summer of 2017. I think the forum switches may be a cause of such a tiny community.

0.4.8 is full of bug fixes, better performance due to ogre 1.11, great new features/physics and has the best linux support ever (no need to compile just download and play)

i play ror since 0.38.66 and all i can say the upcoming 0.4.8 is the best version so far.

Can I find info about the new features anywhere? Just thinking there might be some features that I should prepare current and future projects for. :)

We are the only online community that contains almost 100% user-made content.

uh, ok.

Feel free to contribute, the userbase as of right now is mostly windows users, it makes more sense to focus on it.

Anyone can get $25 to buy the game, I wouldn't consider someone rich for that.
The system requirments for beamng ....are that of a machine that can handle farcry 3

The system requirments for beamng ....are that of a machine that can handle farcry 3
Your point is?
1546395199538.png

What? I got BeamNG due to finally having a good laptop, (RoR runs very nicely by the way, but Direct3D9 doesn’t work for some reason), and so just for fun, I decided to download it onto my old laptop, with a Celeron.

4 FPS, if I’m lucky.

Farcry 3 and BeamNG are nothing alike, when it comes to system specs.

The community was big and heavily active until beamng's popularity exploded, a few months after launch.

The influx of stolen models, which plague every PC game, and beamng too, which may look more visually imperessive, are lazily done, and are technicnally illegal. We had this problem but it was easily dealt with, while beam has this shit everywhere.

The problems are stupid questions, or not enough people making content or being too stubborn, or not taking the forum rules and general ettiquete.

This is a game that's almost 14 years old, from a small experiment. This is way larger than pricorde ever intended, and for games even from 4 years ago having way less of an active, dedicated community than this, you should take it for Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate granted.

I've been here for 8 or so years. Others have been here way longer, others have been here for months.
8 years ago i think you are the best here

Last edited:
Will RoR will sue beang for copyright

BeamNG.Drive is pretty much a do-over of RoR on a different engine, since the developers had grown in their skill and felt it necessary. I bought it and transferred over the minute they announced it. It really is much better than Rigs of Rods was, but unfortunately it is still in it's infancy and lacking a lot of vehicles that Rigs of Rods had (still has if I can find them).

What? I got BeamNG due to finally having a good laptop, (RoR runs very nicely by the way, but Direct3D9 doesn’t work for some reason), and so just for fun, I decided to download it onto my old laptop, with a Celeron.

4 FPS, if I’m lucky.

Farcry 3 and BeamNG are nothing alike, when it comes to system specs.
LOL, without using 4.8 my computer ran RoR at 20FPS. Now it can run at 40FPS steady with 4.8. BeamNG on the other hand barley runs at 20FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back