WIP - Beta Released my first working (ish) car

jooshbutmynameisjosh

roro is not a bus sim, don't even argue with me
i finally made one!

screenshot_2024-09-02_18-30-27_1.png it still needs a lot so... yeah.

Attachments

That's really neat, good job! better than my first thing lol

I want to share with you a few tips, to make your life easier when it comes to creating things in RoR.

1. If you aren't already, work from a folder instead of a zip file.
working from a zip file is inconvenient
working from a folder is quicker
Instead of yourmod.zip, you can make a yourmod folder inside the mods folder.

It makes it a lot quicker to make changes to your truck file and see them in-game.

When you use a zip file, you have to close RoR before adding your edited file back into the zip, because the zip file is locked as long as RoR is open.

When you work from a folder, there is no need to extract and put back your truck file, you can edit it directly while RoR is open (even with your vehicle spawned), save it, and press CTRL+SHIFT+R in-game to reload your mod and see the changes you've just made.

2. Get Notepad++ and install the "Truck" Syntax Highlighter for it. It makes it a lot easier to edit truck files.
using nodepad++ with the Truck Syntax Highlighter makes working with truck files a lot easier

3. K and CTRL+K in-game are your friend. K toggles skeleton view on/off and CTRL+K cycles through different views. It's the best tool for troubleshooting.

4. Another crucial troubleshooting tool is the Console, you open it by pressing ~` (above TAB, to the left of 1 key on the left of the keyboard)
It will tell you when there is something not quite right, and what it is.
The console shows if anything is wrong and needs correcting
You can see there you have some syntax error on lines 29 and 30 in your truck file, it even tells you what's wrong.

5. Some sections need to be after the nodes section.

Your truck is a good example - you defined your wheels before your nodes, so the game creates the wheels first (they get assigned node numbers) using 95 nodes, then it tries to create your n/b starting at node 96. It resolves the situation and spawns your vehicle anyway instead of crashing, but you're less likely to encounter more problems if you fix such errors. In your case, just moving the whole wheels section and its contents after the nodes section, fixes this

You can use this blank truck file that already has the sections in a valid order to avoid this problem

6. If you get stuck or are struggling with something, you tried figuring it out and still can't - you can always ask for help

Also, I have noticed that the camera wobbles while the thingy is being driven. I can't figure out what's causing it, but, defining a camera is really simple and fixes it :)

I have made the car's wheels the same size and improved the rear suspension, but since nodesnap wont save the edits, i copy and pasted the node positions into the truckfile but is spawns on its nose now, anyone know how to fix that?

Attachments

nodesnap wont save the edits, i copy and pasted the node positions into the truckfile but is spawns on its nose now, anyone know how to fix that?
nodeSnap does that sometimes, it's very annoying

Did you highlight the nodes list in nodeSnap and CTRL+C and then manually edit it to add all the ","?

You've got an extra "," at the start of line 60 (node 40) but that isn't the problem (but it prevents you from opening this file in nodeSnap)

The problem is that the order that the axes are displayed in nodeSnap and written in the truckfile are different:
Node 40 in original: 40, 2, 0, 0
Node 40 in improved: 40, 0, 2, 0

If you remove the extra "," at the start of line 60 (node 40) then you can open your truck file in nodeSnap and use the Edit>Rotate function, try different axes, rotate by 90° until you get the top of the vehicle in the "Top" view, front in the "Front" view, etc. There's no undo, but you can always keep rotating by 90° and you'll end up where you started.

nodeSnap does that sometimes, it's very annoying

Did you highlight the nodes list in nodeSnap and CTRL+C and then manually edit it to add all the ","?

You've got an extra "," at the start of line 60 (node 40) but that isn't the problem (but it prevents you from opening this file in nodeSnap)

The problem is that the order that the axes are displayed in nodeSnap and written in the truckfile are different:
Node 40 in original: 40, 2, 0, 0
Node 40 in improved: 40, 0, 2, 0

If you remove the extra "," at the start of line 60 (node 40) then you can open your truck file in nodeSnap and use the Edit>Rotate function, try different axes, rotate by 90° until you get the top of the vehicle in the "Top" view, front in the "Front" view, etc. There's no undo, but you can always keep rotating by 90° and you'll end up where you started.
but im pretty sure it will not save that because every time that I try to edit it it does not save it, it does not even give me a failed to save error

but im pretty sure it will not save that because every time that I try to edit it it does not save it, it does not even give me a failed to save error
Every time you open nodeSnap you get a new chance, sometimes it might save your work, sometimes it won't, other times it may completely erase the beams section.

Try it again - it might work, it saved a few times before, right? it might save again

A great tool for creating n/b structures is blender (yes, the 3d modelling software) - with a n/b import/export plugin
CuriousMike said:
Install the N/B plugin from https://forum.rigsofrods.org/resources/blender-n-b-import-export-plugin.25/ (Repo version is currently only for Blender 2.79, for 2.8+ you'll want to use https://github.com/RigsOfRods/rigs-of-rods/tree/master/tools/blender/2.82 instead)
You create an n/b in Blender pretty much the same way as you do any other model, just much simpler
vertices = nodes
edges = beams
faces = submesh
It has a bit of a steep learning curve, but there are many tutorials on youtube (not RoR specific, just in general how to use/model in blender)
+ the skills you learn will be useful when you'll want to make meshes (3d model) for your car (body, wheels, etc)
blender 2.79: https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/
n/b plugin for 2.79: https://forum.rigsofrods.org/resources/blender-n-b-import-export-plugin.25/

Alternatively, if blender is too big of a jump and you want something like nodeSnap, you could use Editorizer https://forum.rigsofrods.org/resources/editorizer.20/
you will have to have a separate truck file just for Editorizer, with just the name, nodes, beams and end sections, otherwise it won't open it and won't save to it, you edit that file, save, then copy/paste nodes and beams into your full truck file

Code:
truckname

nodes
1, 0, 0, 1
2, 0, 1, 0

beams
1, 2

end

Back