Tips & tricks to improve performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

25or624

Proud BeamNG player, car enthusiast
Hi, I've been playing RoR for a while now, and usually get playable framerate despite my trash laptop. I feel like I have things set up to get the best performance I can, but if any of you had any tips I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

System specs an rendering setup below.

Attachments

• system specs.PNG
    system specs.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 645
  • ror settings.PNG
    ror settings.PNG
    120 KB · Views: 824
disable inter and intra vehicle collisons. Your laptop's processor probably won't handle them, anyways, but my i5 handles multiple cars ok.

My ancient laptop with 64mb of vram can handle caelum sky, antisotrophic filtering. One vehicle, main light, or all vehicles main light.

Drop draw distance to like 1500.

Drop vegetation especially if you're on a dega or lfjhutch map, i.e auriga, lone peak, or greece.

I generally get anywhere from 60fps to 20 at most times. Depending on maps.

Show us your graphics options? rendering won't make much difference. Vsync won't change frames much and generally looks better.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks, I'll look into that stuff. Here are my graphics.

Congrats on 100 posts, by the way.

Attachments

• graphicsror.PNG
    graphicsror.PNG
    106.9 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Thanks!
You should be fine with antisotrophic filtering, and view distance of like 500 as the bare minimum. I usually use 960m or 1500m.hshdsh.PNGI ran the game on a laptop weaker than yours for about 6 years, and got by with 1000m view distane, antisotrophic, sandstorm but your laptop may be able to handle caelum. HQ reflective effects. Mess with the individual setting and see what works.

No texture filtering is pointless tbh and made no difference to frames on a pentium 4 with intergrated graphics. If your laptop cant handle antisotrophic use trilinear.

Disabling collisons will massivley help seeing that you have a weak processor.

Alright, thanks. I’m a little reluctant to raise stuff too much, seeing as I only get 30-40 fps on N. St. Helens without any vehicles, and once I spawn vehicles it drops probably 5 frames a vehicle. Amazingly, I can run Neo at 30-ish, or 20 with large vehicles like school busses. I’m fine with 40, 30 fps because I’ve never had a real gaming laptop so I’m used to it. Once I get under 15 or 20, it gets a little unplayable.

Re: Tips & tricks to improve performance?

same with me aha- i get decent frames on most maps apart from like greece and auriga, but i only get wary of frames when they're below 20 cause that's when they physics slow down.

You can easily raise your settings more especially textures, i've played on hardware far worse than yours and have been decent with antisotrophic or trilinear. Remember that most progress in the game was made when your laptop was new, and the game's just been further optimised these past years.

- - - Updated - - -

I can even use reshade with my 8 year old laptop, and get decent frames. I have a very bad graphics card, but decent amount of ram and an ok processor. Reshade tends to cut my frames by half or 2 thirds, but that's like from 50 on f1 track improved to like 21 with a few settings.

screenshot_2018-06-14_10-07-23_1.pnghere i got like 16fps with all vehicles inactive, most strain was on my gpu. full game speed was 5fps, slowed down i got about 14.
screenshot_2018-06-17_16-54-37_1.pngi have reshade on, with settings done to look good but not significantly impact my frames. DOF on gives me 5fps with an intensive car on an somewhat intensive map, without reshade and videocameras off i got like 13fps (if a vehicle has working mirrors, press cntrl+v, they should freeze and you'll get a good frame boost)

screenshot_2018-06-15_20-10-38_1.pnghere i was getting like 20something fps, good enough as the physics only slow below 20.0fps.

My settings are really more for screens and less for gameplay, but this should get you an idea of my settings that i usually play with. i get anywhere from above 50 (my laptop always resets my refresh rate for some reason), to 20. Settings are 1200X800, Antisotrophic, 1500m, HQ reflections, collisions are ON, skidmarks and particles are on, lights are all vehicles and main lights, vegetation is at 50 or 100%. Water is reflection only with waves. On an 8 year old laptop, can't even run dirt 2 at third native over 20fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back