Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I need help with 3 things, if anyone can try to explain how in simple standards, I would be happy!

1. how do I lower a vehicles suspension?
2. How do I alter a Vehicles drivetrain?
3. (kind of going off #1: ) How do I Lift a cars suspension, if it is different to lowering, and does altering suspension mess with the cars perfomance?

and thank you to anyone who helps, or tries to, in advanced!

Last edited:
Hello! I need help with 3 things, if anyone can try to explain how in simple standards, I would be happy!

1. how do I lower a vehicles suspension?
2. How do I alter a Vehicles drivetrain?
3. (kind of going off #1: ) How do I Lift a cars suspension, if it is different to lowering, and does altering suspension mess with the cars perfomance?

and thank you to anyone who helps, or tries to, in advanced!
1. Going over both of these things, there is a simple way and a more complex way of doing this.

The simple way is to find the "precomp" section in the shock sections... be it shocks, shocks2, or shocks3

Shocks
Code:
shocks
;critical damping=2*sqrt(mass*spring)
;id1, id2, spring, damping, shortbound, longbound, precomp, options
36,   6, 200000,   10000,        0.3,       0.3,     1.0
37,   8, 200000,   10000,        0.3,       0.3,     1.0,       l
38,   2, 200000,   10000,        0.3,       0.3,     1.0,       r

Shocks2
Code:
shocks2
;invisible softbump shock, high value progressive for inbound, linear low values for outbound
;node1, node2, springin, dampin, progspringin, progdampin, springout, dampout, progspringout, progdampout, shortbound, longbound, precomp, options
45,    80,    22000,   2000,            5,          5,      2000,    1500,             0,           0,        0.8,       0.1,       1,      is

Shocks3
Code:
shocks3
;node1, node2, springin(N/m), dampin(N/m/s), slowdampin, splitin(m/s), fastdampin, springout(N/m), dampout(N/m/s), slowdampout, splitout(m/s), fastdampout, shortbound, longbound, precomp, options
46,     55,     65000,             5800,         0.5,         1.2,             0.2,         65000,             1080,             0.5,         1.2,             0.2,         0.62,         0.00,         1.2,     n

Now I just snitched all 3 of these from the documents, but notice how at the end of all of them they have a "precomp" section? Precomp as you may have guessed stands for precompression, or, in other words, how much extra tension or compression is on the beam AS it is generated from its original size.

So, a precompression of 1.0 means that there is absolutely no extra tension or compression on the beam, so when spawned, the size it already was is the size it will try to stay at.

A precompression of anything greater than one means that the beam, when it is generated, is actually under some compression and will try to become longer than its generated size once the physics start. This will, in effect, raise the ride height of a vehicle.

A precompression of anything less than one means that the beam, when it is generated, is actually under some tension and will try to become shorter than its generated size once the physics start. This will, in effect, lower the ride height of a vehicle.

Now this can only be done so much... like a real life car, if you pass the bounds of the natural travel of the suspension, you will run into issues (obviously). This then will require you to physically relocate the suspension nodes to a different position (higher or lower) to get your desired effect. Think of a real life lift or lowering kit... same idea applies here as does in real life.

2. It depends on what you really want to do... I am gonna guess gearing? Darn near anything you are gonna want to know is probably answered here.

Engine Section of Doc's

3. I guess I kinda answered this in the first section, but I will also say that this 100% will effect the vehicles performance. It changes the suspension geometry, it changes the center of gravity, it changes the stroke limits of the suspension... it changes pretty much the entire dynamics of a vehicle... just like it would in real life. So... think about a lowered vehicle. If you lower it, you then have to adjust the spring rate to keep it from bottoming out. Then, to get the best performance, you also have to adjust the damping rates to the new spring rate. Everything kinda effects everything else in that regard. If you take it to extremes, you start to end up in areas where the suspension geometry starts to become an issue and you start to get excessive camber or bumpsteer... its all part of the process.

1. Going over both of these things, there is a simple way and a more complex way of doing this.

The simple way is to find the "precomp" section in the shock sections... be it shocks, shocks2, or shocks3

Shocks
Code:
shocks
;critical damping=2*sqrt(mass*spring)
;id1, id2, spring, damping, shortbound, longbound, precomp, options
36,   6, 200000,   10000,        0.3,       0.3,     1.0
37,   8, 200000,   10000,        0.3,       0.3,     1.0,       l
38,   2, 200000,   10000,        0.3,       0.3,     1.0,       r

Shocks2
Code:
shocks2
;invisible softbump shock, high value progressive for inbound, linear low values for outbound
;node1, node2, springin, dampin, progspringin, progdampin, springout, dampout, progspringout, progdampout, shortbound, longbound, precomp, options
45,    80,    22000,   2000,            5,          5,      2000,    1500,             0,           0,        0.8,       0.1,       1,      is

Shocks3
Code:
shocks3
;node1, node2, springin(N/m), dampin(N/m/s), slowdampin, splitin(m/s), fastdampin, springout(N/m), dampout(N/m/s), slowdampout, splitout(m/s), fastdampout, shortbound, longbound, precomp, options
46,     55,     65000,             5800,         0.5,         1.2,             0.2,         65000,             1080,             0.5,         1.2,             0.2,         0.62,         0.00,         1.2,     n

Now I just snitched all 3 of these from the documents, but notice how at the end of all of them they have a "precomp" section? Precomp as you may have guessed stands for precompression, or, in other words, how much extra tension or compression is on the beam AS it is generated from its original size.

So, a precompression of 1.0 means that there is absolutely no extra tension or compression on the beam, so when spawned, the size it already was is the size it will try to stay at.

A precompression of anything greater than one means that the beam, when it is generated, is actually under some compression and will try to become longer than its generated size once the physics start. This will, in effect, raise the ride height of a vehicle.

A precompression of anything less than one means that the beam, when it is generated, is actually under some tension and will try to become shorter than its generated size once the physics start. This will, in effect, lower the ride height of a vehicle.

Now this can only be done so much... like a real life car, if you pass the bounds of the natural travel of the suspension, you will run into issues (obviously). This then will require you to physically relocate the suspension nodes to a different position (higher or lower) to get your desired effect. Think of a real life lift or lowering kit... same idea applies here as does in real life.

2. It depends on what you really want to do... I am gonna guess gearing? Darn near anything you are gonna want to know is probably answered here.

Engine Section of Doc's

3. I guess I kinda answered this in the first section, but I will also say that this 100% will effect the vehicles performance. It changes the suspension geometry, it changes the center of gravity, it changes the stroke limits of the suspension... it changes pretty much the entire dynamics of a vehicle... just like it would in real life. So... think about a lowered vehicle. If you lower it, you then have to adjust the spring rate to keep it from bottoming out. Then, to get the best performance, you also have to adjust the damping rates to the new spring rate. Everything kinda effects everything else in that regard. If you take it to extremes, you start to end up in areas where the suspension geometry starts to become an issue and you start to get excessive camber or bumpsteer... its all part of the process.
Thank you so much for the help man! I have some interesting build ideas now that I can finally start!

i have a new Modding Related question, i am planning to make a car into a trailer in ror
1651810946165.png

(photo for reference)

1. what would I need to do this software wise?

2. what should I do to avoid issies

3. is it even possible to do this

Yeah, I hate to say it but there really isn't an "easy" way to do this. Well... not most people's definition of easy. Those of us who work with Nodes/Beams (be it Rigs of Rods or BeamNG) have a very different definition of easy to basically everyone else.

There are really 3 things you need to pull this off... but if your on this forum you already have one of them.
1. As Austin said, Blender (depending on if your vehicle has 3D assets or not... most likely it does)
2. Also as Austin said, Notepad, Notepad++, Sublime... just... some sort of text/code editor. Doesn't have to be complicated, but a good find/replace feature can come in real handy... my personal go to now adays is Notepad++
3. The third thing really is just a way to visualize the changes you are making. Granted, the best visualizer... still... is literally just using RoR and reloading the car... thus why Austin didn't mention it because... well... you already have it more than likely if your on these forums.

You can attempt to use some tools like the Editorizor or other Node/Beam visualizers... but honestly... nothing really beats just having your text editor of choice on 50% of your screen, and then RoR on the other 50%. Change something in the file, save it, then move over to RoR and reload it to see your changes. Doesn't get much easier than that. For even more ease of use, just pause the physics when reloading so stuff isn't moving all over the place and nodes are easier to identify.

Back in the day when you had to restart the game EVERY TIME you made a change... visualizers were a blessing. But now, things are so much more user friendly that things can just be reloaded with the click of a button... infact, there was a time that you could set it to auto reload upon file save (that might have been Beam... I can't even remember anymore) but I don't know if that is still a thing.

Yep, I do believe that is a thing still. There was a time when you had to relaunch the game with every edit... that was a pain. Then later on, it would actually read the .truck file every time it loaded, so you just had to go back to the garage and take the same vehicle out again... always ended up with a field of weird and wonky vehicles with one slight change to each of them. And then, eventually, I believe it was added that you could just reload the vehicle and it would reset everything by reading straight out of the file which basically made modding super easy.

Yep, I do believe that is a thing still. There was a time when you had to relaunch the game with every edit... that was a pain. Then later on, it would actually read the .truck file every time it loaded, so you just had to go back to the garage and take the same vehicle out again... always ended up with a field of weird and wonky vehicles with one slight change to each of them. And then, eventually, I believe it was added that you could just reload the vehicle and it would reset everything by reading straight out of the file which basically made modding super easy.
I must be on and old version as that doesn't work for me

I must be on and old version as that doesn't work for me
I just went and tested it, it still works. Depending on what your doing, make sure that the file you are modifying has a name that isn't shared by any other file (so like, I just went and made a copy of the semi file, but I failed to name it something else, so my changes weren't showing up). Once you do that, I usually just move the file over to the mods folder (unless your already there) and then get to work. If you are adding models, changing textures, or something of that nature, you WILL have to reboot the game... or quite to the menu, go to settings, go to debug, and then scroll to the bottom to redo the cache, finally launch back into a new terrain, and spawn the vehicle again. If you are just making adjustments to the .truck file though (moving nodes, adding beams, adding nodes, changing the engine.... whatever...) then all you have to do is save the file, go back to RoR, go to the simulation tab at the top, and select "Reload Vehicle"... poof... your changes "should" show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back