Re-creating the planes dashboard overlay as a DearIMGUI/MyGUI layout

Mark

Edit: This isn't a mod for RoR, this is a proof of concept and a list of what is currently possible, what isn't, and what is broken.

I was curious about using custom on-screen-gui-huds with planes, and so wanted to see how difficult it would be to re-create airdashboard.overlay as a DearIMGUI/MyGUI layout.

In short, very basic functionality is there, some things are buggy, and some input sources are just not there.

I have attached a zip with what I've made, to this post. Just add its contents to any plane mod, and in the .airplane file, add:
Code:
guisettings
dashboard airdash3.layout

There are some things that are just impossible to do (as far as i know) such as GPS and all its clckable controls, clickable GPWS/brakes button, clickable engine-on buttons, and click-and-drag movable throttle levers.
Here are most of the issues and limitations I've found while working on this:

RPM gauge uses 20, 40, 60 and then 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 values at same intervals, and so is impossible to line up the needle with the values.

No input source for PITCH.
No input source for TORQUE.
No input source for rate of CLIMB. (I used pitch, this is wrong, as even when the plane is descending, as long as it's at an angle pointing up, it'll show that it's climbing)
No input source for the heading/compass thing.
No input source for engines being on/off.
No GPS controls, no brake button/lamp.

Values provided by the following input sources have problems:
- airspeed: very slightly inaccurate at times (by 3 knots)
- altitude: wrong value given, doesn't match knots nor km/h in the info window (e.g. 1000 meters is 1181 of something)
- altitude_string: does nothing, it is always 0.
- wing_aoa_0: freaks out while not flying, on ground.
- aeroengine_throttle_0: is supposed to return a float between 0.0 - 1.0. It not only updates slowly, it does so in huge steps - only returns 0.2, 0.4, 0.6. 0.8, never returns 0 or 1
- pitch and roll: they get stuck at values of -57 to 57 (it seems they should go from -90 to 90? I am not sure)

Other issues:
Items like the engine throttle lever or the engine-on lamp/button aren't clickable.

screenshot_2023-09-11_11-26-25_1.png

screenshot_2023-09-11_11-28-36_1.png

Attachments

• airdash31.zip
    111.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
i test it
Thank you, uh, wow, big screen, 4K

Oh no.

The horizon indicator is not meant to be, well, floating outside the horizon indicator... I should have tested on a higher screen resolution, too :ROFLMAO:

Did it work properly at least?

yes work, update it, i test it

mouse click not work
I updated it now, and checked it on 1920x1080 and the artificial horizon / attitude indicator is no longer floating in the middle of the screen

Mouse click is impossible to make work sadly

I updated it now, and checked it on 1920x1080 and the artificial horizon / attitude indicator is no longer floating in the middle of the screen

Mouse click is impossible to make work sadly

1920x1080 is low for me

work better, some functions don't work, the throttle is slow and doesn't extend well, it's slow to start the engine, and if you see everything doesn't flow in the graphics

Attachments

• screenshot_1.png
    screenshot_1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 70
  • screenshot_2.png
    screenshot_2.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
  • screenshot_3.png
    screenshot_3.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • screenshot_4.png
    screenshot_4.png